Step #1: LEAVE THEM ALONE!
Step #2: LEAVE THEM ALONE!
Step #3: LEAVE THEM ALONE!
Step #4: Call Forgotten Felines! (707) 576-7999
In most cases, if you find a litter of kittens without a mother, they are NOT abandoned. Mom is simply not there at the moment, and will return to continue caring for them. She may be hiding nearby, waiting for you to leave. Disturbing the nest can cause the mother to move them, which may not be in the kittens’ best interest. Unless you feel the kittens are in immediate danger, DO NOT TOUCH THEM!
Forgotten Felines can advise you on the best steps to take regarding this little family. Before calling us, please try to gather the following information:
– Are you able to guesstimate the age of the kittens? If not,
– Are they helpless newborns with eyes still closed?
– Do they have open eyes, but still just crawling?
– Are they already running around, climbing, playing, jumping, etc.?
– Do they appear healthy?
If the kittens do not appear to be sick, and are not in danger (dogs nearby, in the path of vehicles, etc.), do not touch them. Try to observe from a distance, to confirm that the mother is indeed in attendance. If 24 hours go by without any sight of the mother, it is probably safe to assume the kittens have been abandoned, or something has happened to mom. CALL US! Again, we ask that you have as much information as possible before picking up the phone, so we can advise you on the best course of action. Or you may contact one of our county’s six shelters, or a veterinarian.
Forgotten Felines staff is available Monday-Friday, 9:00-5:00. (707) 576-7999.
– Sonoma County Animal Care and Control: (707) 565-7100. Open Tues-Sat.
– Rohnert Park Animal Shelter: (707) 584-1582. Open Wed-Sun.
– Petaluma Animal Shelter: (707) 778-4396. Open Tues-Sat.
– Healdsburg Animal Shelter: (707) 431-3386. Open 7 days a week.
– Pets Lifeline: (707) 996-4577. Open Tues-Sat.
– Sonoma County Humane Society: (707) 542-0882. Open 7 days a week.
FOR AFTER-HOURS EMERGENCIES CONTACT:
– PetCare Emergency Services (707) 579-5900 or 579-3900.
– Redwood Veterinary Hospital (707) 542-4012.
– Animal Care Center (707) 584-4343.